HIGHLINE SCHOOL DISTRICT School: _________________
SECOND YEAR MATH OLYMPIAD March 25, 2000
Geometric sense: All answers must have correct units!
1. An 18 foot flagpole casts a 30 foot shadow. How long is the shadow of a 6 foot man standing next to the flagpole?
2. Find the area of the shaded part of this circle. Use 3.14 for pi. The triangle is a right triangle. The hypotenuse of the triangle is the diameter of the circle.
3. Find the perimeter of this right triangle:
4. Find the area of this figure. Each end is a half-circle.
(Use p = 3.14)
5. ABCD is a square with area = 36 square meters. AEFG is a rectangle with area = 36 square meters. E is the midpoint of AB. What is the perimeter of AEFG?
G D A