HIGHLINE SCHOOL DISTRICT School: _________________
FIRST YEAR MATH OLYMPIAD March 25, 2000
1. How many seconds are there in a day?
2. How far will I go if I travel for 4 hours and 20 minutes at 60 miles per hour?
3. A purse contains 20 coins. Some are dimes and some are nickels. The coins are worth more than $1.40. What is the least number of dimes in the purse?
4. Joanne sold 4/5 of her pencils for 15 cents each. If she has eight pencils left, how much money did Joanne receive for the pencils she sold?
5. Phil's recipe for sparkling punch calls for two 32-ounce bottles of ginger ale and a pint of raspberry sherbet. If Phil wants to use a gallon of raspberry sherbet, how many bottles of ginger ale will he need? (8 pints = 1 gallon)