GRADE 8 MEASUREMENT (1998)
Make sure you include proper units in your answer!
1. There are 1 billion people in China. If they lined up four in a row and marched past you at the rate of 25 rows per minute, how long would it take the parade to pass you? Give your answer in days, hours, and minutes.
2. If the triangle shown were enlarged so that each side were 4 times as long as its original length, what would be the ratio of the area of the enlarged triangle to the area of the original triangle?
3. Square plugs are often used to check the diameter of a hole. What must the length of the side of the square be to test a hole with diameter 3.16 cm? Round to the nearest 0.01 cm.
4. A child has a large supply of dominoes, each of which measures 32 mm by 56 mm. She wants to lay them out to form a solid square, and she also wants them all to be laid out horizontally, as shown.
(a) What will be the dimensions of the smallest square that she can form?
(b) How many dominoes will this form require?
5. A cylinder with a radius of 4 inches and a height of 12 inches is completely filled with water. The water level starts to fall at a steady rate ofinch every second. What is the volume of water in the cylinder after 9 seconds?