Lesson Plan # 7 - Fraction multiplication
- (5 min) Mental Math
- Start with 30, subtract 12, then divide by 3 
- What is 30 times 4? 
- What is 30 times 40? 
- What is 30 times 400? 
- What is 300 times 4? 
- (5 min) Review of selected problems from Homework # 6 (<= 3
- (15 min) Introduce fractions:
- Discuss what a fraction is: a part of a whole, a number between
zero and 1. It has a numerator and a denominator. The denominator
is the number of parts the whole is cut up into. The numerator is the
number of those parts that you have. Illustrate with a pizza drawn on
the board. Cut the pizza into 8 pieces and ask students how many pieces
they can eat.
- Handout the "Fraction rules" handout and discuss the
following concepts (go through the examples for each):
- Fraction multiplication
- Converting mixed numbers to improper fractions
- Have students turn over the handout to the "Area of a triangle"
discussion and discuss the fraction version of the triangle area formula.
Have them work the first fraction example near the bottom of the page.
- (Remainder of class) In-class Exercise.
- Hand out homework as students successfully complete the in-class