Year 1 Free Week #2 Lesson Plan
For the second session, use practice quizzes 3 and 4, unless you want to
review fractions or do some other activity on your own. You might want to
delete problem 4 of the "Make a Table" quiz, because it involves
guess-and-check, a concept that we have not covered yet.
- Organize students into teams of 4 (3 or 5 are OK). Assign a captain
to each team.
- Explain the following rules:
- There will be 2 quizzes, each 15 minutes long. (Do "NUMBER SENSE"
- Only 1 answer sheet will be turned in for each team. The Captain
will turn this sheet in. The captain copies answers her teammates give
her to each of the problems in the quiz when they solve them.
- No calculators, this time
- The captain makes sure each team member is working on a different
problem. Let team members volunteer for each problem.
- First problem is the easiest, last problem is the hardest. The last
problems are worth a lot more than the first problems, so look at the
last ones first.
- At the "One minute to go" announcement (which you will make) the
captain makes sure every problem has an answer.
- If time permits, every team member checks other answers on the
Captain's answer sheet. Make sure answers seem 'reasonable' and that
the units are correct.
- Start the first quiz no later than 15 minutes after class starts.
- After each quiz, explain the answer to each question. Ask students
to solve problems on the board. Try to be quick about this.
- Add team scores on each test for a total team score. If you wish,
award prizes (stickers, candy, etc.) to high scoring teams. Try to mix
up the teams next time so the same students don't get all the rewards.
- No homework this week!