- (7 minutes)Explain how to solve a long, written problem
- Organize students into teams of 4 (3 or 5 are OK). Assign a captain
to each team.
- Explain how a long problem is solved:
- Read the problem to UNDERSTAND what is being asked for
- Figure out a STRATEGY for working the problem
- COMMUNICATE by showing your work and telling us what you were thinking
- Check your answer to see if you have a REASONABLE RESULT. Try a
different way of working the problem.
- Write these rules on the board (ahead of time):
- The team turns in 1 paper
- All writing is in complete sentences.
- Neatness counts.
- The conclusion should say why you think your solution is best.
- Let students assign writing jobs among themselves.
- (30 minutes)Solve Problem
- Hand out the problem
- Read and explain the problem
- If this is the students first written problem, give HEAVY coaching and
advice throughout. Make sure every team
- (10 min) Quickly evaluate responses using the rubric.
- Use the rubric for evaluation.
- Explain to students what made some papers good.