Year 2 Lesson Plan 16 - Solving ax + b =
- (5 min) Mental Math
- Take 100% of 80, divide by 4, then add 11 
- Take 50% of 50, multiply by 3, then subtract 10 
- Multiply 3/4 by 8/3 then multiply by 10 
- If x = 12, what is x/3 + x/2? 
- If x = 12, what is 25 - 2x? 
- Take 1/2 of 1/2 of 100 
- (10 min)Solving for ax + b = c
Follow the discussion on the handout. Use your own discretion as to
whether you actually hand this explanation out. You may want to just
use it for your own notes, or hand it out as class ends. Go through the
3 examples on the back with the students asking the students what they
should do next.
- (Remainder of class) In-class exercise
- Hand out homework as students successfully complete the in-class exercise.