Year 2 Free Week #1 Lesson Plan
We say that "Mathematics is the language and science of patterns." The
purpose of this lesson is to have some fun and to reinforce the need to
draw pictures and make tables. This is to teach methodical thinking as an
approach to finding paterns and solving problems.
The students can work individually or in small groups. There can be a
reward (sticker, candy, star) for each kid who draws all 6 pictures or
fills in all 6 tables.
There are 2 quizzes, each about 15 minutes
long. Do "DRAW A PICTURE" first. You may give them the following
- Draw a picture of the pen and ALL of the posts.
- Draw a line from youngest to oldest and put each kid on the line.
- Draw circles for bevels, dowels, and swivels, Put them inside of each
other, and label how many there are of each.
- Draw points for teams and connect them with lines. Count the lines as
you draw them.
- Draw cartoons of Sid and the tree and both their shadows. Is the tree
larger or smaller than its shadow?
- Draw a map of the pool and the walkway. Label ALL the
After 15 or 20 minutes, call time and review the answers. Students can
hold their answers up for others to see. No rewards are given for right
answers unless there is also some sort of picture for each. Students
pictures should look something like the following:
The second quiz is "MAKE A TABLE" Tables have been supplied for each
but no rewards can be given unless the tables have been filled in.
| #2 |
No homework this week!